August 22, 2009

Ramadan: Outsider Looking In

Ramadan (the abbreviated version)
Ramadan marks the ninth month of the lunar calendar. It was in this month in the year 610 that Muhammad began to receive the Qur'an. So it is during this month each year that Muslims fast from food, drink, and sex from sun up to sun down. This practice is written in the second book of the Qur'an entitled The Cow (Al-Baqara). By fasting one is supposed to feel more connected with God by realizing human dependence on God's blessings. Fasting is also one of the five pillars of Islam and is required for all Muslims to follow unless you are sick, old, or menstruating.

What does this pose for me going into a Muslim country in the middle of Ramadan?
I am going to try my very best not to eat or drink around people who are fasting. (I used to fast with my friend Fatima during Ramadan so it wouldn't suck so much not eating with everyone else at lunch. So I think I can still do it!! Crosses fingers!) Plus I think that fasting in general is a very good way to get in touch with your body and realize how much we are dependent on many other things. I am also excited to experience Ramadan in Egypt because I have heard that Egypt does Ramadan unlike any other country.

I also think that it is so wild that the school completely changes their class schedule to accommodate Ramadan. Classes in the morning start earlier in order to accommodate the large evening meal to break the fast at the end of the day. (Plus I guess everyone else is up from eating their big morning breakfast...)

I am excited to see what I think about everything after a few weeks in Egypt! I will be sure to update!

xoxo
~S

Happy Ramadan Everyone!

1 comment:

  1. This is really interesting, I didn't know that sex was included in the fasting process. I'm interested to see how the adjustment goes (not to say you can't do it, because I know you can!). Keep us well updated!

    ReplyDelete